ASDC has been leading an extensive effort, starting in January 2013, to update D.C.’s acupuncture regulations, which were put into place prior to 1987. We expect to have updated acupuncture regulations in place by 2016.
A leadership team has met multiple times with the D.C. Board of Medicine to address three major areas: (1) to remove incorrect or misleading information from the website and DOH documents. A case in point is the requirement for physician oversight which was rescinded by City Council in 2003; (2) to establish ongoing training requirements for renewing licensees though continuing education requirements; (3) appropriate grandfathering for all practitioners; (4) updated entry requirements for new licensees that are in line with national best practices and still provide some flexibility for those of diverse educational backgrounds, such as avenues to licensing through apprenticeship.
Upcoming Continuing Education
Pain and Inflammation Education for Clinicians
The Pain and Inflammation Series provides 8 audio recordings offering clinicians valuable information to help reduce opioid use, over-use and addiction. Presented by experienced practitioners, they address botanical therapies for dampening the inflammatory response and managing types of pain (i.e. neuralgia, acute renal colic, vascular pain, fibromyalgia, arthritis, etc.). Also features up-to-date information on the uses of cannabis for pain management and discusses the underlying causes of chronic pain syndrome. Includes digital book of lecture notes with complete references (85 page PDF).
To order the series and for more information, please visit: Botanical Medicine Pain and Inflammation
Starting May 29: Medicines from the Earth – Streaming Virtually!
- Video streaming of 35+ presentations, medicine-making classes and virtual herb walks
- View any time for 14 days; choose when to watch on your own schedule!
- Continuing Education: Approved for 22.5 PDA hours by NCCAOM
- Live sessions for the pre-conference intensive, keynote address and panel discussions
- Participants receive a complimentary set of audio downloads and the digital lecture notes book
- Registration closes at midnight on 5/27/20